Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:29:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Openwall GNU/*/Linux 3.0

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:31:07AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> As some of you might know, we released Owl 3.0 this week.  Among many
> other things, Owl includes John the Ripper usable right off its LiveCD:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2010/12/15/1
>
> I'd like the Slashdot crowd to comment on Owl (likely providing some
> harsh criticism like they usually do, but that's OK).

The Slashdot story was in fact posted yesterday, although the URL changed:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/12/17/203204/Openwall-Linux-30-mdash-No-SUIDs-Anti-Log-Spoofing

100+ comments so far.  Now I'd appreciate some community help in
moderating the comments thread.  As expected, a lot of people
inadvertently posted misleading comments (jumped to conclusions without
reading), which I and (GM) corrected with further comments.  Can our
corrections be modded up such that the truth is more easily seen? :-)

http://slashdot.org/~solardiz
http://slashdot.org/~gm.outside

If anyone is curious, we got 4800+ extra website hits from Slashdot so far.
This would be nothing new for JtR (it gets this much and more daily anyway),
but it is significant for Owl.

Thanks again,

Alexander