Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:31:07 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Openwall GNU/*/Linux 3.0

Hi,

As some of you might know, we released Owl 3.0 this week.  Among many
other things, Owl includes John the Ripper usable right off its LiveCD:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2010/12/15/1

I'd like the Slashdot crowd to comment on Owl (likely providing some
harsh criticism like they usually do, but that's OK).  Can you guys pass
this on and have it voted up maybe? -

http://slashdot.org/submission/1420798

solardiz writes "Openwall GNU/*/Linux (or Owl for short) version 3.0 is
out, marking 10 years of the project.  Owl is a small security-enhanced
Linux distro for servers, appliances, and virtual appliances.  Two
curious properties of Owl 3.0: no SUID programs in default install (yet
the system is usable, including password changing) and logging of who
sends messages to syslog (thus, a user can't have a log message appear
to come, say, from the kernel or sshd).  No other distro has these.  Other
highlights of Owl 3.0: single live+install+source CD, i686 or x86_64,
integrated OpenVZ (host and/or guest), "make iso" & "make vztemplate" in
included build environment, ext4 by default, xz in tar/rpm/less,
"anti-Debian" key blacklisting in OpenSSH.  A full install is under 400 MB,
and it can rebuild itself from source."

Thanks,

Alexander