Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:52:26 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: several problems with JtR + jumbo 9 and/or omp-des-7

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 07:48:55PM +0100, bartavelle wrote:
> 1/ NT support for x64 in 1.7.6-jumbo9 does not work properly :

I can't reproduce this.  It works fine for me, cracking all 3107 hashes
in my test file.  That's with a pure wordlist, no rules, though.  Maybe
there's a bug in the wordlist buffering introduced in the jumbo patches?
A bug that is easily seen only in conjunction with rules and with a tiny
wordlist?  This code looked unreliable to me...

> It seems that only passwords stored with set_key(xxx, 1-8) work.

This doesn't match the results of my testing above.

> This was tested with gcc 4.4.3 and ICC.

gcc 4.5.0 here.

> 2/ the nice value is only effective for the first thread with openmp,
> but I'm sure this is already known ...

Yes, already known.  Thanks for the reminder.  I think I'll have to
simply have the Idle setting ignored in OpenMP builds when there's more
than one thread.  Any other ideas?

> 3/ I ran into random problems with ctrl-C + restore, where the .rec file
> was flock'ed. This only happened with openmp enhanced ciphers.

This is news to me.  Was NFS involved?

> I did not investigate any of these problems, so this is merely a bug
> report with no proposed fix, and perhaps not much detail. I'll try to
> investigate the NT problem when I will have more free time.

Thank you!

Alexander