Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 01:55:36 -0400
From: "Robert Harris" <rs904c@...scape.net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Patch for Makefile, concerning Solaris x86

Alex and John-Users,

We does the tgtsnarf program do, anyway?   Why is it only built in Solaris?

So that there is one good Makefile for Solaris and all other builds...

I purpose we either do this for each Solaris build item (What is a better
name for this?), Option 1)
(add the text "-lnsl -lsocket" to each Solaris build item's LDFLAGS)
solaris-x86-sse2-gcc:
	$(LN) x86-sse.h arch.h
	$(MAKE) $(PROJ) \
		JOHN_OBJS="$(JOHN_OBJS) c3_fmt.o solaris-x86.o x86-sse.o
sha1-mmx.o md5-mmx.o" \
		CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -DHAVE_CRYPT" \
		LDFLAGS="$(LDFLAGS) -lrt -lnsl -lsocket"

or this for each Solaris item Option 2)
(create a new global variable for Solaris only, and use that in the LDFLAGS)
(Looks like you have a MARKOV LDFLAGS, why not a new one for Solaris?)

LDFLAGS_SOLARIS = -lnsl -lsocket  (New Global variable)

 solaris-x86-sse2-gcc:
	$(LN) x86-sse.h arch.h
	$(MAKE) $(PROJ) \
		JOHN_OBJS="$(JOHN_OBJS) c3_fmt.o solaris-x86.o x86-sse.o
sha1-mmx.o md5-mmx.o" \
		CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -DHAVE_CRYPT" \
		LDFLAGS="$(LDFLAGS_SOLARIS) -lrt"

Which do you prefer?  Looks like either one works.

-Robert Harris