Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:25:12 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: find salt missing

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 10:17:21PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  Is next version of JTR can include a salt finder ?
>
>  Sometimes we have the hash and the plaintext but salt is missing.
>
>  Is JTR could try all possiblities of salt (from "a" to "zzzzzzzzzz"
> (include letters + digits + symbols))

In general, no.  For many hash types, salts are not even directly
represented with character strings like this.

However, in certain cases such as with the simplest kinds of salted
MD5 or SHA-1 hashes this is already possible, with no special code
needed.  I've just provided an example at the end of this response:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/10/05/1

Alexander