Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:44:37 +0200
From: "Magnum, P.I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: unicode conversion in NT_fmt ?

Hi folks

I'm experimenting with alternate charset conversion for the various MS
hashes. All of NetLMv2, NetNTLM, NETNTLMv2 and MSCHAPv2 use the same
function (or an identical copy of it) for conversion to UTF-16, namely
mbstowcs(), which blindly assumes the input is ISO-8859-1 or ASCII.
These are isolated functions that can easily be replaced with something
else. I think I have something working for UTF-8 wordlists (let's ignore
the problems with rules applied to UTF-8 for now) but have yet to
produce test hashes to verify (but they do pass the self tests). I'll
post a patch if/when I have something that works.

But the NET_fmt.c I just can't understand. I get the feeling it is
optimized to the point we can't just replace a function like that. Is it
even possible to point your finger at a line in that code where the
"conversion" happens? Is it just a bit shift? The more I look at that
code, the more lost I get.

I guess the same goes for mscash_fmt.c, that code looks very similar.

Any help appreciated.

magnum