Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:37:12 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Features of a modern cracker?

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Alain Espinosa <alainesp@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi. I am not sure this is a little of-topic, but i think can involve
> john as well.
> 3- Statistics are very important: Information its very valuable and
> need to be persistent. I think this is the most important and john can
> implement and use it better.
>    a) The old and tested way to do that its with a database. Do not
> need to be a "big" database server like MySQL or PostgreSQL or MS-SQL;
> a little one like SQLite can do the job.
>    b) In a database with a good amount of data you can generate
> reports. Note that this reports do not need to be implemented in the
> same cracking program. Can be one of the multiple java programs for
> reports. Reports that can show passwords statistics, what method of
> cracking cracks more passwords and in what time and a lot more. This
> can provide a method to share results in a more organized form.

with regard to 3- I've engaged a friend of mine to help generate stats and
store them in some simple db, csv/xml/mysql, you can read some of my
thoughts about it here: http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/08/25/2

Tougher passwords are where the stats will really help, but some may find
the ones that fall quickly and why of equal use. I'll update when we get
something written, still planning it right now and extra time is tight.
-rich