Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 19:32:38 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Noob question #2: how to set to prefix more than one
 character, a word, in wordlist rules/elsewhere... very simply

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Mr Ex <ex_says@...oo.co.uk> wrote:
> Many thanks for your response and I didn't find it discouraging... you obviously
> pointed out that 10 alphanum char brute would take far longer than I had, for
> some reason, vaguely presumed.
>
> Wanted to try something else this time, namely prefixing a word to a peoples
> names wordlist, and also maybe appending some digits, maybe even more than one,
> again for aircrack piping.
> May sound really dumb and schoolboy here but I'm struggling to grasp and how to
> generate the john.pot to then make the .chr (specifically I don't grasp where
> all.gz is from that example you gave
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/07/04/6, or if I am even to use
> that?). It appears I do have to grasp how to generate the .chr file for this
> word prefix idea too because I can't just amend the wordlist rules part of
> john.conf as that way only seems to let you prefix one single alph char to the
> beginning..? (So in my case it will only prefix potential passphrases with 'v'
> rather than the whole word I want?) If I'm wrong on that (I'm hoping I am so I
> could just set it in john.conf!) please do correct me ;-)

You should just use the RULES rules against a wordlist, the .chr files
are merely
the list of characters and a bunch of statistics (afaik) that are used
to help JtR make
educated guesses when incremental mode is being used. Lanman.chr contains the
69 (printable) chars found on an english keyboard (26 upper-alpha, 10
numeric, 32
special chars, and 1 space) and statistics for generating likely
candidate passes.

A rule to prepend uses the carrot ^, to append uses the dollar $.
Add something like this to john.conf

[List.Rules:test-0]
t$[0-9]$[0-9]$[0-9]
t$[0-9]$[0-9]
t$[0-9]
t^[0-9]^[0-9]^[0-9]
t^[0-9]^[0-9]
t^[0-9]

The above first appends 000-999 to each word, then 00-99, then 0-9. Next those
same combination's are prepended to each word. The "t" is for toggling cases of
the word and can be omitted if you don't need it.
Call the above using wordlist mode: john -w=passwd.lst -rules=test-0
For a specific word to prepend I believe
A0"word" will prepend word to all words, 0 is the position. I don't
know how to use
the rules to go through a second wordlist and have them ^'d or $'d
against the word-
list.
-rich