Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:35:49 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Noob question: how to feed 10 alphanum char min&max
 incremental to aircrack when "MaxLen = 10 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8"

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/07/04/6
Specifically... You have to create your own CHR files and recompile.
I have not had success with compiling anything other than digits over 8,
you can DL my digit only build (up to 16 digits) here:
hxxp://xinn.org/jtr__digits/john-digits-16.7z (windows only)
If you don't have 7zip you can find it easily. This build will only
crack digit only
hahses with lengths from 1-16 digit characters long. The build is
against JtR 1.7.6
jumbo rev 5. I'm not sure how to run it against a pcap, but if it's
supported by JtR
or the jumbo patch it should work. I should try again to build an
AlphaNum JtR but
I haven't had the time. You do have to modify the john.conf parameters
to suite your
needs:
  # Incremental modes
  [Incremental:Digits16]
  File = $JOHN/digits16.chr
  MinLen = 1
  MaxLen = 16
  CharCount = 10

Command line:
john-digits-16.exe pass.pwd -i=digits16 -format=nt
I hope that helps some...
-rich