Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 07:28:22 +0000 (GMT)
From: Mr Ex <ex_says@...oo.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Noob question: how to feed 10 alphanum char min&max incremental to aircrack when "MaxLen = 10 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8"

Hi

I'm a total noob who is trying to run a crack specified to effectively brute
force 10 characters only and alphanumerical only (against a pcap)... I modified
the config file; the alpha numerical bit, so that it was minimum 10, maximum
10, as this just seemed logical from reading the help file, and then

john --stdout --incremental:alnum | aircrack-ng (etc etc...)

but then got...

"MaxLen = 10 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8

There are several good reasons why you probably don't need to raise it:
- many hash types don't support passwords (or password halves) longer than
7 or 8 characters;
- you probably don't have sufficient statistical information to generate a
charset file for lengths beyond 8;
- the limitation applies to incremental mode only."

But for what I want to do, feeding, nothing to do with hashes, 10-only and
alphanum only seems reasonable..?

Like I say, I have read the documentation but as a novice don't wish to get too
hopelessly lost so I wondered can anyone help... do I need to run some sort of
patch or mod john in some way to alter the limit or perhaps better still is
there another effective John command line

for defining '10 only, alphanum only' that someone knows of so I can feed it
through.

Many many thanks for your time and patience
EX