Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:54:06 -0400
From: "Meyer, Bruce" <bdmeyer@....sc.gov>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: WEP cracking

I was provided a WEP Key and asked to see if I can crack it.
>From what I have been reading, it seems the only way to crack a WEP key is to have traffic from that keys network to capture with a util that is trying to crack the key. Once the util has seen enough data, it is then able to crack the wep key.

Am I wrong? Is it possible to just crack a WEP key with nothing but the key, and something like JTR, and no supporting traffic, or do I need to run a tool like aircrack that can sniff the networks traffic for a while in order to perform the crack?

-- Bruce D. Meyer