Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 02:47:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contest Details - "Crack Me If You Can" - DEFCON 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 06:25:05PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> Yeah I have putty and linux as well. Most of the CPU's are windows, and 10
> was the total cpu count, I have 3 computers. I may dust off a few others, bring
> them out of retirement as it were.2 - 2.6Ghz  mostly. On the windows side I have
> my own cygwin compile + jumbo5, and a digit only (1-16) + jumbo5
> (digits16.chr file) I'm not traveling for a while, so add 4 more for my 2 LT's!
> 14 total cpus, 5 computers.

OK, we may let you focus on the digits then.  You'll be able to
distribute the workload across your CPUs by hash type and by length.

As to me, I will likely throw the idle cycles (90% or so) of around 5
quad-core CPUs at this.  So that's around 20 CPU cores.  I expect this
to be around 300 Watts of direct extra power consumption and heat
dissipation, and some more by the air conditioning units (which will
have to work a bit harder...)  I am unlikely to go beyond that because
of the very hot weather, as well as not having a lot of motivation for
this (I'd rather let you and others participate as well).

If you can generate a SSH public key (and know how to use that), please
e-mail it to me.  Here's some info on it:

http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/ssh

If not, I'll just setup a password for you.  This is temporary stuff and
it's not high-security, so some risk is OK.

Alexander