Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:21:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper v1.7.6 with jumbo patches, issues compiling in Solaris  {john-user discussion}

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:54:38PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> Alex suggested forcing the use of the GNU assembler, please explain how to
> force the use of the GNU assembler.

I expected that you'd run into a known issue with the jumbo patch
requiring that as a workaround, but you don't seem to (maybe you're on a
newer revision of Solaris 10 and maybe they've since enhanced their
assembler).  So please disregard this for now.

>   -using cc, cc fails for me all the time

Perhaps you simply don't have the Sun Studio compiler installed.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/sunstudio/overview/index.html

> HDAA_fmt.c:16:22: mmintrin.h: No such file or directory

This indicates a minor gcc packaging error.  You might need to add
something like -I/usr/sfw/lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.10/3.4.3/include
(adjusted for your system and gcc package) to CFLAGS to get past this.
The rest of the errors you posted for this build are caused by the
same thing.  So it's just "one error".

> bash-3.00# gmake clean solaris-x86-sse2-gcc

You got an almost complete build here. :-)  tgtsnarf is unimportant, you
may choose to simply disregard it.  However, if you like to get it built
as well:

> gcc tgtsnarf.o -s -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lcrypto -lm  -lrt
> -o ../run/tgtsnarf
> gethostbyname                       tgtsnarf.o  (symbol belongs to implicit
> dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
> sendto                              tgtsnarf.o  (symbol belongs to implicit
> dependency /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1)

You need to add "-lnsl -lsocket" (without the quotes) to LDFLAGS.
I may also address this in a new revision of the jumbo patch - maybe
adjust the solaris-* targets accordingly, or maybe move tgtsnarf into
its own make target (such that it won't be built by default).

Thank you for testing this stuff!  When updating the jumbo patch, I
don't test it on many different systems - I simply accept that it is
less portable than the main JtR and that previously-working builds of it
will break from time to time.  I am mostly relying on user reports for
learning of any specific issues with the jumbo patch, just like the
jumbo patch itself is mostly a collection of user-contributed code.

Alexander

P.S. I recommend that you don't unnecessarily run commands as root.  You
did have to use root to install packages, but then you can be working on
the JtR builds as a non-root user.