Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:38:26 -0500
From: Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contest Details - "Crack Me If You Can" - DEFCON
	2010

> Actually, it appears that they were user-contributed (right?), and most
> of them (at least the easily crackable ones) are LM and not NTLM
> I doubt that the hashes you'd use for the contest will be similar to
> these, or will they?

I highly doubt it. I didnt try to crack those example per se. It was just
some user-submitted passwords from some other web-sites. Some people
don't have a huge amount of hashes to crack so I figured I would just
give out some examples. Any site with user-submitted hashes are filled
with junk hashes (invalid hashes, incorrect types, etc etc).

In general, the contest hashes range from easy to hard. So everyone will
be able to crack _something_.

> During the contest, will it be OK to publicly share tips specific to the
> contest hashes - e.g., recommend specific JtR settings on john-users?

Fine with me. But understand, you are likely going to be helping teams
located at DEFCON who are competing for the actual prize. So teams could
just read this list, and get lots of pointers.  Will there be any teams that are
"john" centric? I dont know. But the rules can easily be converted into
'hashcat' or PasswordPro format.

As an FYI - There is at least one remote team (not competing for the
prize) from a password cracking software vendor. (They make a commercial
product).

---------

-Minga