Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 22:26:27 -0400
From: "Matt Weir" <cweir@...edu>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Re-ordered 'Single Mode' Ruleset

>> Perhaps the "single crack" ruleset included with JtR should be
>> re-ordered in a similar way, although this would require
>> additional/different testing (based on usernames and GECOS info, and
>> also for truncating hash types).

Unfortunately almost all of the datasets I have access to are web based
accounts. I could simulate truncating hash types, but for most of them I
don't have GECOS information. Also, another worry I have is the way people
create web passwords may be significantly different from how they create
linux/unix accounts, (which I imagine is where Single mode gets the most
use). As you mentioned, the original Single rule-set was trained on Unix
passwords, and I would have to imagine that the original ruleset would
perform better when cracking them then the re-ordered ruleset.

Matt