Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 03:05:07 +0100
From: "Magnum, P.I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Is JTR MPIrun can be optimized for more cores ?

> I tested JTR MPI 10 with -incremental mode (compiled SSE2).
>
>  I ran JTR with a 2 millions hashes list, with my own .chr (can crack
> up to 10 letters/digits/some symbols)
>
> Here it is 3 tests (same hashes list, all identical except cores
> numbers, duration for each test 5 minutes):

This would be a more relevant test:

1. Run your first test (2 cores) for 20 minutes.
2. Run your second test (4 cores) for 10 minutes.
3. Run your third test (8 cores) for 5 minutes.

and you could also throw in:

4. Run a non-mpi john for 40 minutes.

Now compare the results (as in number of passwords cracked). This will
be a better indicator of how john-mpi scales.