Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 04:00:07 -0500
From: "Matt Weir" <cweir@...edu>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: generate passwords with wDDDwDDD template

>> I would like to generate a passwords list
>> with wDDDwDDD template, where 'w' is a
>> [a-Z] and 'D' is a [0-9].

You can do this using the preprocessor in JtR's rules file. I had written a
sample config showing how to compose similar targeted brute force rules a
while ago and I figure this is as good a time as any to re-upload it to the
web. It's labeled john_bruteforce.conf and you can download it here:

http://sites.google.com/site/reusablesec/Home/john-the-ripper-files/john-the
-ripper-sample-configs-1

Note, it assumes your run JtR in wordlist mode with an input dictionary
consisting of the 26 lower characters in the alphabet, one per line. Aka

While I don't have your rule in the sample config, it would probably look
like

:$[0-9]$[0-9]$[0-9]$[a-z]$[0-9]$[0-9]$[0-9]

I haven't tested it myself so there may be a typo.

>> I also wish to know how to generate the full
>> list of words where each word is 8 symbols in length and word contains
>> at least one digit or word.

I think I understand you. Aka you are trying to construct a bruteforce rule
to target passwords that were created under a password creation policy that
mandated passwords must be eight characters long and contain at least one
letter and one digit. That's much trickier considering the large number of
combinations and would require 256 rules using the above method. I'm a
little too lazy to write those myself ;)

One tool you might want to check out is crunch. It is a wordlist generator
and can be used in conjunction with John the Ripper by pipeing its output
into JtR using the -stdin option. I haven't played with it for a while but I
know at one point in time people were talking about adding the capability to
do what you were asking. Even if it doesn't, it's easier to use then writing
your own rules, though using JtR's preprocessor actually is much faster when
attacking quick hashes like MD5. You can download crunch here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crunch-wordlist/

I hope this helps,

Matt Weir
http://reusablesec.blogspot.com