Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 01:30:41 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about Az and the use the commas

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:50:34PM -0600, Minga Minga wrote:
> Trying to learn the new/better syntax of using Az in a rule:
>
> I have the line:
> cAz,[!@...%^&()_+\-={}|\\;':"./\<\>?`~][0123456789]

You're using a comma as your quote character, but this line is missing a
final comma at the end.  I assume that the line you actually have in
your john.conf does have a comma at the end.

> Which:
> 1) Capitalizes the first character
> 2) Adds a special character to the end of the word
> 3) Adds a number to the end of word (after the special char)
[...]

> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there a better way to append special characters ?
>     - besides listing all of them in a giant ugly [!@#] command?

Yes, you can specify ranges of characters, as long as you're OK with
them being tried in ASCII code order.

> 2) is there a better way to append the number 0 1 2 3 4 ... 9 ?
>     - besides [0123456789]

Sure, just use [0-9].  Please read the default rulesets in john.conf
supplied with JtR - there are plenty of examples of this (and more).

> 3) Is there a way (using the new Az syntax to append a 'comma' to a string?

Sure.  There's no reason to use specifically a comma as your quote
character.  In fact, doc/RULES and the default john.conf use the
double-quote character most of the time.  Here's an example that uses
the letter "q" as the quote character:

This produces all the same candidate passwords that your line does and
more: it also tries appending a comma and square brackets.

I think the comma became "so popular" due to W.A.'s postings.  I would
recommend that you use the double-quote character by default instead,
although in this specific case we needed to avoid all of those symbols,
which is why I used a letter instead.

Alexander