Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:54:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Jumbo patch licensing

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 09:29:51AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> I work with the Fedora Project, and while I was going to package up
> JtR for EPEL, there was some mention of possible problems with the
> licensing of the patches in the Jumbo patch. While the main set of
> code was GPL, some of the patches had been done before the code switch
> and may not have been re-licensed or wanted to be re-licensed.

More specifically, some old versions of JtR did not explicitly specify
a license (my fault), so it was not clear what license applied to some
code contributions made against those versions.  This has been mostly
dealt with by a Debian package maintainer approaching the contributors
in early 2009.  What remains to be done is updating the corresponding
source files with explicit license notices according to the contributors'
replies on the pkg-john-devel mailing list.  The list archives are
linked from:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/licensing

> Someone
> mentioned to me on IRC that this had been mentioned on the list as
> something to be worked on the future (maybe for 1.8) or so.

The topic was brought up in here on some occasions, but there were no
specific plans like working on this for or after 1.8.  You're free to
work on this at any time. ;-)

> I was
> wondering what the status of this was or if there was anything I could
> help with.

Please see above.  Perhaps you could go over the pkg-john-devel postings
and introduce the proper comments (copyright and licensing statements
and links to the postings) into the latest revision of the jumbo patch,
then submit your changes as a patch.  Also, identify any issues that
might remain - e.g., source files the license for which is not clear.

Maybe the Debian package already contains this info (as a patch or
otherwise)?  This is worth checking.

Thanks!

Alexander