Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:20:15 +0100
From: "Magnum, P.I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Feature Requests for JtR

Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:29:16PM -0600, Minga Minga wrote:
>>    ESPECIALLY useful with --external:parallel
>
> Huh?  I disagree.  I don't see how having separate john.conf-like files
> would be any easier than having multiple Parallel-like sections in a
> shared john.conf file (which is possible with the current JtR code).

What would be *very* useful is ability to give arguments to external
modes. I think it was mentioned somewhere but I'm not sure. Something
like this:

[List.External:Parallel (int node, int total)]

...and of course it would be run like this:

$ john -e:Parallel=1,8 hashes.txt

Other things on my wish-list (some or all may have been mentioned by
others already). My assumptions on what is trivial may be completely
wrong of course. Here goes, in no particular order:

1. sigUSRx for re-checking john.pot
It doesn't have to be ultra optimized, it could just mimic an abort and
resume.

2. I'd like to use -stdout together with -single
I assume this is trivial. It would be very handy when debugging rules or
just trying to understand them. It could be useful for piping to other
crackers too.

3. Multiple rules
The recent "rules=xxx" is very nice. I would love the ability to give
multiple rule blocks like "-rules=wordlist,leetspeak" and/or having
rules including other rules, like

[List.Rules:Mega]
#include Wordlist
#include Crazy
#include LeetSpeak
specific 'Mega' rules follow...

I think both alternatives are good for different things and while any of
them would be nice, having both would be even better. Ideally it should
detect when multiple selected rules start with : and ignore all but the
first.

4. When using salts=n and finding passwords, I always use those
passwords as a wordlist to all other salts too. Ideally this should be
done automatically but I have a feeling this is not all that trivial.

Just my 2 cents
thanks
MPI