Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:44:10 +0100
From: "Magnum, P.I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trivial bug (or dangerous feature)

> I've addressed this in JtR 1.7.5.  Except when built with DJGPP (for DOS),
> it will now always append .rec and .log to the specified session name.
> this exception won't cover all cases - e.g., one
> may run a Linux build of JtR in a directory on a FAT filesystem (say, to
> share it with Windows installed on the same computer).  Then JtR 1.7.5
> might misbehave (the .rec and .log files might turn out to be the same
> file as far as the filesystem is concerned).  I guess that's life.

Thanks, I'm sure this will avoid more problems than it adds.

This broke the mpi-10 patch more than usual, since it alters the rec
file names. I know you'd not be too unhappy to see that one fade away
:-) but I'll probably try to fix it and submit a modified patch soon.
For some jobs, the MPI patch is of great benefit (at least I believe so).

Should I still create a diff against plain john? For the last couple of
revisions of john + jumbo, I've used a private mpi diff created after
jumbo (that is, I just manually fixed the rejects and made a new diff)
which tend to result in less hand editing.