Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:21:12 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: netntlm.pl (was: JtR 1.7.5)

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 08:22:00AM +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> It includes "netntlm.pl",

Yes, recent jumbo patches do.  It is very easy for new contributions to
get added to the jumbo patch these days.  I included netntlm.pl even
though it doesn't even work with that same version of JtR - because the
script requires the "--config" option, which is not implemented yet.
I am OK with implementing that option and/or I'd be happy to include
such a code contribution into a new revision of the jumbo patch.  It's
just not there yet.

Another issue with netntlm.pl was that it'd create files under /tmp in
an unsafe manner.  I've dealt with that in 1.7.5-jumbo-1 by changing the
script to create the files in the current directory instead.  I've never
tested that change (nor did I ever test the script at all).

> and "netntlm.pl" tells it needs files in the
> *.lc format: what does that mean?
>
> I know the smbpasswd format, but no such *.lc format ... is it related
> to CAIN? Or does it mean "L0phtcrack"? If so: I can see the encryption
> in "smbpasswd"; do I need L0phtcrack too?

I'd like JoMo-Kun (the author of that code) to comment on this.

Alexander