Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:55:28 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Revisit of: --make-charset against a File with LANMAN and NTLM Passes?

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 04:01:44PM -0600, Minga Minga wrote:
> Previously I asked a question about using using --make-chars against a
> pwdump.txt that contained both LANMAN and NTLM hashes.
> The problem is, that currently (?) the resulting .chr file
> will only contain CAPITAL letters because it uses
> LANMAN as its input.
[...]
> Is there a new 'fix' that can be used so that --make-chars can be run
> against an input file both lanman and NTLM hashes - in order to create
> a custom .chr file that contains upper and lower case options ?

With JtR 1.7.5, you can now specify "--format=nt" (or any other
"format" supported in the given JtR build) along with "--make-charset",
and it works as expected (at least in my testing).  Moreover, it should
work both when you specify password files and when you don't.  The two
restrictions - by password file(s) and by hash type - may be used on
their own or both at once (all combinations are supported).

Alexander