Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:12:30 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New updated lanman.chr based on RockYou Data

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 07:32:00PM +0100, Magnum P. I. wrote:
> Minga Minga wrote:
> >To give you an idea how it was created, I performed the following commands:
> >1) Taking the rockyou list - and converting to upper case.
> >2) cut -b 1-7 rockyou.dic >> lanmanrockyou.dic
> >3) cut -b 8-14 rockyou.dic >> lanmanrockyou.dic
> >4) cut -b 15-21 rockyou.dic >> lanmanrockyou.dic
> >5) generated LANMAN hashes for all entries in lanmanrockyou.dic
> >6) cracked all the LANMAN hashes
> >7) generated a .chr file from the cracked hashes.
>
> That cutting in step 2 and 3 is a clever idea as far as I can tell.

The cutting is required when steps 5 and 6 are omitted, but it is not
needed when steps 5 and 6 are to be performed (JtR itself will
effectively do the cutting then).

> But shouldn't step 4 be omitted?

Definitely.

> Anyway, maybe the filter_lanman ruleset could be rewritten to take care
> of this splitting? If it's at all possible?

There's no need for that as long as john.pot was actually produced by
JtR (rather than "by external means") and it contains LM hashes only.
With LM hashes, JtR always stores LM hash halves and the corresponding
password "halves" into john.pot.

As to making better use of non-LM hash passwords for generating
lanman.chr, yes, such a change to Filter_LanMan would make sense.
Unfortunately, right now there's no way for a filter() to produce more
than one "modified word" for a single input "word".  So right now
Filter_LanMan simply truncates at 7 characters.  Perhaps I should
implement support for producing multiple "modified words" from a single
input "word" with a filter().  This is on my to-do list.

Thanks,

Alexander