Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:51:09 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trivial bug (or dangerous feature)

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:34:22AM -0600, Minga Minga wrote:
> I always named my sessions   something.rec - and I just had
> to learn to NEVER add the .rec extension, and let 'john' do it
> for me. Took me a while to break the habit. But after losing
> two different input files to the "feature" you mentioned, I
> had to do it.

If you were specifying the .rec consistently at all times, then I don't
see how this could have resulted in you losing an input file.  I am
guessing that your problem was "the opposite" - naming a session the
same as an input file (the filename of which already contained a suffix)
and omitting the .rec suffix.

Alexander