Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:14:40 +0100
From: "Magnum P. I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Feedback on the generic crypt(3) patch

FWIW, I've had good "non-intended" use of the generic crypt(3) patch as
it also enables cracking passwords longer than 15 characters. That
length is not that hard to attack when you know a pattern, but plain
john let me down. This patch made my day, once I realized it should
work. It performs at 25% of the speed of the optimized version but it's
still 110% better than nothing :)

So my 2 cents: please incorporate "crypt" in the 'official' or at least
the 'jumbo patch' versions (even if "incomplete"), and I don't think you
should ever remove it even if/when you end up supporting this new
password format. It may happen again...