Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:38:33 -0300
From: Nahuel GrisolĂ­a <nahuel.grisolia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking CISCO ASA 5510

On 1 February 2010 22:47, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> I was too quick to state that this was not supported.  It is.  It turns
> out that this is the same hashing method that Cisco PIX uses:
>
> $ cat pw
> cisco:2KFQnbNIdI.2KYOU
>
> $ ./john pw
> Loaded 1 password hash (PIX MD5 [pix-md5 MMX])
> cisco            (cisco)
>
> For the specific test above, I had to actually fix a minor bug in
> pixMD5_fmt.c (in 1.7.4.2-jumbo-1).  Change the line:
>
>                if(!atoi64[ARCH_INDEX(ciphertext[i])])
>
> to:
>
>                if(atoi64[ARCH_INDEX(ciphertext[i])] == 0x7F)
>
> (the original line would not allow for the dot character in the hash
> encoding string).
>
> There are sample hashes and other relevant info here:
>
> http://ccie.pl/viewtopic.php?t=10210
> http://www.oxid.it/downloads/pix_passwd.txt
> http://www.freerainbowtables.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1441
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/04/15/1
>
> Some of the comments claim that there's a salt involved and hint that
> the username is being used as a salt.  This is not the case for the
> PIX/ASA hashes supported by JtR.  Maybe those comments were wrong, or
> maybe there's something yet unknown (to me) behind them.
>
> Alexander

Hello! With a PIX (Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.1(2)28
Device Manager Version 5.1(2)) with this dummy user:

dmcom:lZt7HSIXw3.QP7.R

which cleartext password is CscFw-ITC!

JtR 1.4.2 with Jumbo2 is not working or i'm doing something wrong...

Maybe, if someone can play with a pix or asa, please generate some
username-password combinations in order to test this format in JtR.