Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:35:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: UNSHADOW from Windows

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 02:13:26PM +0000, Paul Needham wrote:
> For the record, could I not have just pasted the username hash and created my own file,

Yes, you could, or you could have used the shadow file alone (no passwd)
directly with JtR.  This does have a drawback, though:

> as the unshadow command only seems to have taken the username and hash and put it in the correct format?

No, it should have done a bit more than that.  It should have also
preserved the auxiliary info from the passwd file, such as the user's
full name and home directory pathname, while introducing the password
hash from the shadow file into those passwd file lines.  This auxiliary
info is actually being used by JtR in order to possibly get more
passwords cracked quickly (e.g., when a user's password is based on
their real name).

Alexander

P.S. Please avoid over-quoting.  Please quote a few lines of context
most relevant to your reply only.