Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:55:02 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: My patches (Performance, options, mingw, vc, generic md5, phpass, etc)

I followed up with Eric offlist, but will also post this to list, since
others may see issues such as this.

Eric provided me with his original file (the COMINOSEC_fmt.c) , and I
compared that with my original. By original, I mean ver-1.7.3.4 with
the jumbo-1 patch installed.

The file Eric provided, and mine were 100% identical, except for EOL
markers, and that seems to cause problems on the Mac port of patch.
The file Eric sent, had DOS end of line (\r\n), while the file I had
was standard unix (\n) line endings.

I have no 'solution' to this, other than we need to make sure that
all patches, and files about to be patched are in \n format.

Are there ways to make patch smart enough to ignore end of
line issues?

I do see in patch the -l  (or --ignore-whitespace)  I am pretty sure
this flag would do the job, and from the patch I have, it appears to
be the only available option for ignoring end of line differences.

Not sure if the -l is the 'right' option to use or not, or if it is
better to work to keep all source/patch in unix EOL format.  If the
-l is a good option, then someone should (I could do it, I guess)
change the wiki page on how to properly install a patch.
I would not change the wiki, unless there was an 'official' ok for
using that swich in the patch program.

Jim.