Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:09:02 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Questions about LARGE multiple patch files

> Jim,
> I +1 your idea,

So far, that is 2 + for rolling up the 'numerous' patches into a main patch
(the compiling environment addtion of MinGW and VC are totally separate, and
should work good as a stand along patch).

>it's regrettable that these things have to be patched in, or
> not before compile time, but your idea if you can pull it off would appear
> to be the best solution

> -- Lee Hambley

Regrettable, but somewhat understandable.  I do not access any CSV or other
version system, and am actively working on this code.  Thus, there has to be
some way to stabilize john, while still providing hackers like myself to
make changes/enhancements and provide a mechanism to getting those changes
into the bleeding edge john.  At some later time, these much of what is
being worked on may end up in the jumbo patch (and some may end up in core
john).

But right now, the changes are simply too volatile, and it would not make
since to try to merge them into one of the mainstream versions of john (the
base john-1.7.3.4 or the jumbo-1).   However, I would love to see the mingw
build environment merged into jumbo-X.  It should not impact other things,
as 99% of the changes are simply #if .... #endif blocks

Jim.