Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 02:29:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: asking what might happen in future releases

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:06:45PM +0200, rembrandt wrote:
> Well I ment more stuff like the Markov-implementation.

I do not intend to include the specific implementation that is currently
in the jumbo patch.  If I have time (which sounds unrealistic), I
might do some testing, then either enhance the "incremental" mode or
introduce a new cracking mode.

> Threading or maybe even considering OpenCL implementation of some
> algorithms. I just think that 8+ core CPUs gonna be avaiable
> soon. Starting serval john-instances works, also if you combine it with
> Markov but somehow it should get solved in a way which might be more
> comfortable.

So basically you're just pinging me to resume work on JtR, as usual. ;-)

> Well would you asume some speedups during the 256bit SSE engines?

I am not sure about the 256-bitness specifically - it may be twice
faster than 128-bit "as it should be", or it may be the same, or it may
be slower - depends on implementation (specific CPU).  (For example,
128-bit SSE bitwise ops as originally implemented in Pentium 3 were
actually slower than 64-bit MMX per-bit.)

However, there are two other relevant improvements - 3-op instructions
and the vpcmov instruction, which is similar to AltiVec/Cell vsel/selb.
These are obviously usable for bitslice DES (and more), and in fact this
has already been shown - I just happened to find that by doing a Google
search for "vsel selb pcmov" (without the quotes) or something like
that (I did several searches to confirm that the new instruction will in
fact be similar to vsel/selb).  Here's what I found:

http://dango.chu.jp/hiki/?Bitslice+XOP

Alexander