Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 03:27:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: distro patches

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 04:39:29PM -0600, RB wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to look at them; the 1.7.3.1-r1 package
> (using all-5) was committed this week, shortly after you published
> all-6.  :)  I still have yet to test the MPI patchset against all-6,
> so that will be on my list before submitting more updates.

The changes between all-5 and all-6 were so minor (on purpose) that I
really expect no issues.

> Do I read this correctly that you mean to both check for __ELF__ and __linux__?

Yes, even though Linux systems that build a.out binaries should be
extinct by now.  Even the 11 years old system I used for testing was
ELF'ish already (it did include a.out compatibility binutils and
libraries, but it would not use them by default).  I mean, I could leave
the __linux__ check only, but the __ELF__ check is more correct whereas
the __linux__ check is supplementary (just in case and subject to
change), so I'll use "#if defined(__ELF__) && defined(__linux__)".

> Short of writing logic to strip duplicate options, I'm not aware of a
> clean way to really avoid that.  Some simpler alternatives may be to
> use something like JTR_CFLAGS to step out of packagers' way or expose
> LOCAL_CFLAGS to make them step out of yours, but I don't know what
> your preference may be.  For that matter, you may just prefer to leave
> solving this up to the packagers.

For now, this is definitely left up to the packagers.  In a major rework
of the Makefile, I might better separate the portions of CFLAGS that are
likely to be overridden vs. those that must be added per-target.

I hesitate to make "invasive" changes like that, though, because I lack
access to some of the systems that the current Makefile has been tested
on.  I may break builds on those systems and only find out months later.
So I'd prefer to do it at about the same time that I make other invasive
changes anyway.

Alexander