Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 16:39:29 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: distro patches

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:15, Solar Designer<solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Thank you!  I have some comments below.  Please feel free to pass them
> back to the Gentoo folks.

Thanks for taking the time to look at them; the 1.7.3.1-r1 package
(using all-5) was committed this week, shortly after you published
all-6.  :)  I still have yet to test the MPI patchset against all-6,
so that will be on my list before submitting more updates.

>> The first patch (mkdir-sandbox) adds a check for EACCES against the
>> return value of the mkdir() call in src/path.c that makes it more
>> compatible with Gentoo's 'sandbox' build tool.
>
> I think this should be approached differently.  Rather than exit on the
> error (current "official" behavior) or ignore the error (current
> behavior with the Gentoo patch), I think JtR should print the error
> message and continue.

I expect you'll want to do that in a future release, but will work on
doing that in their patch.

> succeeded, so I am willing to apply the change now, maybe adding a check
> for __linux__.

Do I read this correctly that you mean to both check for __ELF__ and __linux__?

> I understand the problem, but the patch is not acceptable because it
> results in duplicate compiler options being used with the modified make
> targets.  In practice, the options listed on the command line last
> should take precedence, which is fine, yet it does not look pretty.

Short of writing logic to strip duplicate options, I'm not aware of a
clean way to really avoid that.  Some simpler alternatives may be to
use something like JTR_CFLAGS to step out of packagers' way or expose
LOCAL_CFLAGS to make them step out of yours, but I don't know what
your preference may be.  For that matter, you may just prefer to leave
solving this up to the packagers.