Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:14:50 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: distro patches

I've filed a bug for Gentoo to get them to update their JtR package
(including getting rid of the awful params.h patch), and they've
thanked me by asking me to submit some of their patches upstream.
Whether I agree or not, I've cherry-picked those that may be of
benefit to others; please consider these for future incorporation.

The first patch (mkdir-sandbox) adds a check for EACCES against the
return value of the mkdir() call in src/path.c that makes it more
compatible with Gentoo's 'sandbox' build tool.

The second and third (stackdef.S and all-5-stackdef.S) patches are the
ubiquitous set that prevents dire warnings in environments that are
strict about stack executability.  I've split them so it's clear which
applies to the core tree and which applies to the all-5 patchset.

The final (cflags) patch is actually from the gentoo-prefix project,
and forces src/Makefile to respect pre-existing CFLAGS values.  It's
not complete, but at least gives the idea of what they were intending
to do.

Having been subscribed to this list for the entire time these patches
were in existence, I'm not sure why they only chose now to ask for
them to be submitted, but does anyone have any comments, questions, or
concerns with them?  What could be done to improve on (or better,
eliminate) them?

Download attachment "johntheripper-1.7.3.1-mkdir-sandbox.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (562 bytes)

Download attachment "johntheripper-1.7.3.1-stackdef.S.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2112 bytes)

Download attachment "johntheripper-1.7.3.1-all-5-stackdef.S.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (668 bytes)

Download attachment "johntheripper-1.7.3.1-cflags.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2215 bytes)