Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:06:42 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking MS SQL passwords (was: mysql05)

websiteaccess -

As evidenced by responses of other john-users (thanks!), I misunderstood
you, and you were actually referring to MySQL 5.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:49:26PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> I've tried prefixing your 40-character string with 0x01004086CEB6 (taken
> from the test entries).  Then it loads, but it is not getting cracked
> (tried "microsha"), so your hash is probably something different (not
> supported by this code) or maybe the missing prefix should be different
> for it.

Also, this attempt was fairly dumb, as a read of the code shows that 8
of the characters in that prefix string form the salt, which I clearly
wouldn't guess right from the first try.  (That's if your hash were in
fact from MS SQL, which it was not.)

Alexander