Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:16:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: exclude/include charset from all.chr ?

Minga - thank you for addressing Vasilis' question below while I was not
available to do it.  This is greatly appreciated.

I would like to add to your response:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 03:59:51AM +0200, ph3arconf@...il.com wrote:
> is there a way to exclude certain characters from all.chr and also to
> define a standard ruleset character to be included on the incremental
> mode without rebuilding a .chr file?
>
> For example at least one special character, one numeric character and
> a combination of lower-upper case characters).

Vasilis - I suggest that you review this older posting:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/02/10/3

for a sample more optimal implementation of an external filter() using
table lookups.  With some effort, you should be able to modify this
filter() to match another password policy as well.  Also, the posting
referenced above gives you some reasons to possibly reconsider your
desire to have JtR match a password policy like that.

BTW, I have just updated the wiki page at:

to refer to many "most useful and currently relevant" postings to this
list made since October 2008, in addition to older ones.  This includes
the posting referenced above.  There's clear bias towards my own
postings; others may feel free to nominate other postings.

Alexander