Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:57:17 -0500
From: "Jim" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Contributing significant changes to the jumbo patch 	(mostly performance improvements)

Patch john-1.7.3.1-all-5-mingw-1.diff

This is a patch to get MinGW working with john.  It works proply
with 1.7.3.1-all-5 installed.  There were other mingw patches
but since each of them, were specific for a specific john
release, I did not use one of them, and bump the -REVISION
level.

Note, it would be nice to have the MinGW patches merged into
the 'base' jumbo patch at some time.  MinGW is head and
shoulders better than Cygwin, which has been merged into
the main tree.

Patch john-1.7.3.1-all-5-VC-with-MinGW-upd-1.diff

This patch is a MinGW patch, AND a Micro$oft VC patch.  NOTE to
Use in VC, you will still have to have MinGW/MSYS installed.  Mingw
is used to build the proper arch.c file (and others?) and it
builds the asm files (x86.S, etc), into .o files.  Then VC can
simply link in these .o files, even though it can not parse the
AT/T asm syntax.

NOTE to get VC 'running', I will post some project files, if there
actually is any interest.

Jim.