Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:54:57 -0500
From: "Jim" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Contributing significant changes to the jumbo patch 	(mostly performance improvements)

> That was actually somewhat on my TODO - splitting the all-X patches
> back apart and individually reimporting them into a git tree I created
> using 'git cvsimport' off of Solar's tree.  There have been times I
> wished the individual changes were better bisected, and not having
> spent the time to split them apart wonder whether the collisions are
> due more to sloppy coding or to the proliferation of patches exceeding
> the ability of the plugin system to handle them without overrun.

I have almost finished the split apart, it is NOT pleasant, but I think
I have gotten it to work.

There are 5 patches.  2 of these are system ports, so are uber
important to most users (if they are not using mingw or MSVC).  However
those patches do cause some split apart / re-merge collisions because
they touch a lot of stuff.  I have them so these 2 patches (the
VC patch is actually the MinGW patch plus additional VC specific
stuff, since you will still need MinGW to do a VC build). The other
3 patches are the performance patch (the most problematic and collision
prone of the patches), and the phpass-3 and raw-md5-SSE2.

The patches are:

john-1.7.3.1-all-5-fast-rawMD5-SSE2-1.diff

john-1.7.3.1-phpass-3.diff

john-1.7.3.1-all-5-several-performance-updates-1.diff
    depends upon john-1.7.3.1-all-5-fast-rawMD5-SSE2-1.diff
             and john-1.7.3.1-phpass-3.diff

john-1.7.3.1-all-5-mingw-1.diff

john-1.7.3.1-all-5-VC-with-mingw-1.diff

I will get them up on wiki soon.  I am still testing and working out
a couple of 'missed' items, and will re-test to make sure collisions
are ironed out.

For the john-1.7.3.1-all-5-several-performance-updates-1.diff, I
could not make it 'stand alone' against the jumbo-5 patchlevel.
It required both phpass-3 and rawmd5-sse2-1 to be installed, since
it made modifications in collision parts of those files.

But the other 4 'should' work in pretty much any order.  NOTE
that a user should install only one of the patches mingw-1
or VC-with-mingw-1   If a person is going to use mingw, he could
patch with either one.  If a person wants to take a stab at
getting john running under VC (only works with x86-any at this
time), then he must install the the VC-with-mingw-1 since it
adds #defined __MINGW32__ and numerous #defined _MSC_VER stuff.

Getting John working under visual studio is more complex than
I will be writing about in this post.  I will follow up with
that one on a later post, but for now, I want to get the patch
out.

Jim.