Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:28:36 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: "No password hashes loaded" on Ubuntu 9.04

That's because  JtR does not [yet] have support for the relatively recent SHA2 hashes in glibc.  I've started on an implementation, but got sidetracked with the MPI patches.  For the moment, you won't be able to crack any Linux hashes but MD5, blowfish, and DES.

This raises an interesting question: with the proliferation of SHA-based hashes in the past few years, is it time to consider a standardized JtR-internal SHA implementation?  Other than reducing external dependencies, would it be worth it?  I know OpenSSL has reasonably well optimized implementations for the platforms they're on (if programmatically generated), but don't know how much a hand-optimized solution could improve over them.