Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:50:32 -0500
From: Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MPI John (was: Re: GI John)

> It's important to note that current MPI implementations of JtR are
> only effective in incremental mode.

This is a really important point. Incremental mode works quite well,
but in some/most cases, its not the fastest way to crack a large amount
of passwords. Using Rules, Wordlists, and Markov mode can be much
more effective. I have mistakenly tried to run the MPI implementation
with wordlist mode, etc many times - I now see why that's dumb ;)

I pretty much do not even bother with the current MPI implementation
because the use of incremental mode can be combined with
--external:Parallel extremely easily and can be TRUSTED to not
duplicate effort.

If you generate your own .CHR file for a large password set
(like a partially cracked 'pwdump' output file') incremental
mode can be quite powerful/usefulmyu though.

The main questions I have are :

Is MPI+incremental mode  faster than --external:Parallel ?
If so, by what percentage? Benefits ? Drawbacks?
Can I trust MPI to not duplicate effort?
Am I wasting CPU cycles using --external:Parallel for large "incremental"
runs?

-Minga