Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:04:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wordlist bug in JTR ?

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 04:51:53PM +0200, websiteaccess wrote:
>  Now I have wordlists with 6,94 gigas (named motspossible#1a#7.txt)

As it was pointed out on this mailing list before, 32-bit builds of JtR
support wordlists of up to 2 GB only.  For larger wordlists, you need a
64-bit build.

>  As you can see, I was at 8% then I go down to 1%, 2%, 4%..... !

That's a little bit weird.  On most systems (based on reports so far),
running a 32-bit build of JtR against a wordlist larger than 2 GB would
result in an error from a system library call, which JtR would report.
Apparently, OS X is lax in this respect, not notifying JtR of the error.
Indeed, JtR itself could be improved too, either by making it support
Large Files even with 32-bit builds(*) or by making it detect the error
(not rely on the underlying library calls to detect it).

(*) Those curious of how such support may be implemented may want to
refer to this posting:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/12/09/2

Alexander

P.S. You made this posting as a "reply" to an unrelated one.  I've been
asking you not to do it many times.  Please don't do that ever again.
Whenever you're to post something on a new topic, please post your
message anew, not as a "reply".