Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:27:10 +0200
From: bartavelle@...quise.net
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: GI John

noah williamsson a écrit :
> Other attempts to build distributed versions of John the Ripper that
> might be of interest are http://btb.banquise.net/ and
> http://ktulu.com.ar/blog/software/djohn/
> ElcomSoft also provides a (commercial) software that allows for
> distributed cracking though it appears to require Windows on all
> clients.

I do not suggest looking too long at btb, as it's not really usable
(even though it works for basic stuff).

ElcomSoft software, based on my experience, does suck. There are bugs
(oracle cracker didn't work last year when i tried) and it only supports
the most basic brute force modes. Importing a shadow file is a tedious
task : you will have to open the file and select a username for each
account you want to crack. And as you said, you could run it with wine,
but you would not have access to the GPU.