Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:05:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: my incremental mode

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 02:39:17PM +0100, antuan 55 wrote:
> But this mode use majuscule ?no?

No, the pre-defined Alnum mode uses 10 digits and 26 lower-case letters only.

> And another thing:
>
> CharCount=1  ---> 1
> CharCount=2  ---> 2
> CharCount=3  ---> 3
> CharCount=10  ---> a
> CharCount=11  ---> b
> CharCount=12  ---> c
>
> Is true?

No, it is not (if I understood you correctly).  By reducing CharCount,
you tell JtR to only try this-many most-frequent characters, separately
for each position and depending on two preceding characters.  The actual
number of different characters tried will usually be higher than
CharCount, because different characters are the most frequent ones in
different positions and after different preceding characters - but the
total effort will be exactly the same as that of trying CharCount
different characters.  I understand that this is difficult to grasp.
I'll illustrate it with an example:

[Incremental:Alnum-3-2]
File = $JOHN/alnum.chr
MinLen = 3
MaxLen = 3
CharCount = 2

./john -i=alnum-3-2 --stdout
pmc
dog
don
def
dea
pat
pam
pm1
words: 8  time: 0:00:00:00  w/s: 800  current: pm1

It is usually not a good idea to restrict CharCount.  In fact, you don't
have to specify it at all, and the only reason to specify "CharCount = 36"
for "Alnum" is to get JtR to print a warning if this turns out to be
inconsistent with the .chr file.

Finally, please be careful to quote only relevant context of the
preceding discussion.  This time, you quoted the message you were
replying to in its entirety - including even the mailing list manager's
unsubscribe notice.  (I hear that Gmail may sometimes hide quoted text,
yet send it along with the message.)  I had to remove the extraneous
quoting by editing your message in the moderation queue.  On some other
occasions, I am simply rejecting improperly formatted messages like that.

Thanks,

Alexander