Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:05:40 -0700
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: big wordlists

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:33, kalgecin@...il.com <kalgecin@...il.com> wrote:
> i've recently generated a 3gig wordlist using john's rules. but john
> couldn't open the wordlist. must i split the file or is there any
> other way?

Not addressing the size, but the methodology: why?  This is precisely
why wordlists are implemented the way they are in JtR - you have a
basic dictionary, then apply mutators on the fly.  The CPU cycles
spent performing the mutations are miniscule in comparison to the rest
of the processing, and [likely] orders of magnitude faster than
waiting on disk I/O for such large lists.

If you need the generated list for other purposes (like feeding to
another process) that's one thing, but otherwise you're going to
generally be better off letting JtR do what it's made to do.