Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 07:20:23 +0000
From: P PO1434 <p2409@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: 2 known letters + wordlist word --> is new format definition best
 way?

Hello there John users

I'm really enjoying my foray into John at the moment. Thanks to Alexander and all contributors.

I have a question regarding a long list of partially known passwords that use a simple MD5 hash. In my case, I know the first 2 characters (digits), however I would like john to use the wordlist
for the remaining characters.

My options seemed to me to be:

1) Make a new rule in [List.Rules:Single]

   ^[0-9]^[0-9]

   This worked quite well, but of course not I'm not using the known digits, so 100 x slower than necessary.

2) Make an external/incremental rule like the one in the wiki that forces the 2 digits in at the front, then goes through every combination of alpha letters.

   Not very efficient, given I expect the word will be in list.

3) Write a xxx_fmt.c based on rawMD5go_fmt.c

   Struggling with this at the moment, but it looks like the best option (?)

My questions are:

a) Am I even barking up the right tree creating a new xxx_fmt.c based on rawMD5go_fmt?
b) If a new fmt is the right way, will it be a matter of just 'overriding' the set_key function?
c) Is it possible/correct to create external rules that use a wordlist, or are these rules just exhaustive searches?

Thanks for any info people can provide..

Cheers
Pete

Get what you want at ebay. Get rid of those unwanted christmas presents!