Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:11:15 +0100
From: Stefan X <stefanxe@....net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: cracking dm-crypt

Hi!
I forgot my password of an encryption Linux partition (dm-crypt without
LUKS) and would like to use JtR to crack it. I am new to JtR and am
happy about some guiding by you experts.

Because it is a partition I don't have any hash available which could be
used easily with JtR. Thus I see two ways:

1) Extract a kind of hash from the partition; but I don't know how. Is
there any kernel hacker who could give me input on how to do this?

2) Instead I would need to try to mount the partition with each
potential password. Unfortunately this would be quite slow. For my
understanding the "external mode" of JtR is exactly for such purpose. I
could define a few commands to mount the partition and handle the result
(success or failure). Unfortunately I did not found much information
about such approach. Is there any more documentation about it than the
official docs?

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct and which advice you
have for me.

Regards