Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 01:54:44 +0000
From: Ruben Lara <>
To: <>
Subject: RE: large pot and --show problem

Hi all,

> What hash type does that "slow" password file use?  What hash type is
> prevalent in your pot file?  What version of JtR (and any patches) do
> you use?

My password files and my pot are majority formed by DES Hashes.
I use JtR version without any patches, downloaded from

My machine brute forcer is old one, 1,7 processor and only 512 RAM memory with Debian Unstable, maybe, slow machine is the problem.
john --show put my processor at 0.7 %CPU and 67 %MEM.

> My guess is that you're dealing with saltless hashes, and that the
> corresponding *_fmt.c file (coming from a patch) does not provide proper
> binary_hash[]() functions.
> If so, you may consider improving that *_fmt.c file and/or you may use
> the workaround suggested in this posting:

Well, i tried to follow you, i looked for DES_fmt.c file in jtr source, and try to comment block, previous post say, but i couldn't find that loop anywhere...

Any suggestion?

Thank's for help, and Happy Christmas for everybody

Comparte hasta 500 fotos en un solo email con Windows Live