Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:10:49 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: fast freebsd MD5 implementation

After exchanging mails with the author of http://3.14.by/en/md5, I toyed
with the idea of using similar code for freebsd MD5. So here is a patch
that uses a similar implementation, but for the whole freebsd MD5
crypt(). It is set to use ICC, so you might want to download it (it
speeds everything up anyway) to test, but it should be possible to have
it run on gcc (don't forget -march=nocona). The patch is against
john-1.7.3.1-all, not vanilla! (it should work with vanilla anyway)

It is REALLY ugly (more than my usual production ...), and I only tested
the -test function, 32bit mode, so it might not work at all in the real
world.

Bench with standard code on my laptop: 3258k/s
With this code: 10433k/s

This MD5 code could hash around 15M k/s on my laptop, compared to 19M
for BarsWF. But he can use the "reverse trick" and save 25% of the
calculations, so the two implementation are in the same league.

Have fun with it!

PS: next stop, GPU implementation. I'm getting tired of not cracking
enough of these hashes.