Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:57:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: HMAC-MD5 SSE2 fails under Cygwin

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 01:46:04PM +0400, SmarTeam Support wrote:
> as to Solar's request about adding line into hmacmd5_init - the output
> is following:
> Benchmarking: HMAC MD5 SSE2 [hmac-md5 SSE2]... opad @ 0x49dce0

Well, "opad" and other nearby variables were properly aligned - however,
my testing revealed that the problem was in fact alignment-related.
Specifically, it appears that Cygwin does not guarantee the alignment
for variables declared "static", such as "crypt_key" in hmacMD5_fmt.c.
I sent a patch that works around this, as well as fixes some related
bugs that got triggered by the workaround, to SmarTeam Support and
Random Intentions for testing.  The patch is somewhat large, so I am not
posting it in here.  It will be obsoleted by the next jumbo patch update
anyway.

Thanks,

Alexander