Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:27:39 -0400
From: Adam Turk <bofh1234@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: generating a wordlist with john

> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:43:44 +0400
> From: solar@...nwall.com
> To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
> Subject: Re: [john-users] generating a wordlist with john
>
> I am sorry for not commenting on this earlier. I was hoping that
> someone else would, and in fact I wanted to encourage that...

Not a problem.  I was not in a hurry for a response.

The reason this came up is I was reading a posting at forums.remote-exploit.org that says I could use john to generate a wordlist.  I am researching different wordlist generators.  To find the size of a wordlist it is number of characters ^ to the length you want.  So using the 95 English characters and a length of 3, there should be 857,375 words.  John is generating 866,496 words.  So john is generating extra and I am guessing unusable words.

>The --stdout option does not specify a minimum length; its parameter
>only tells John to truncate passwords at the specified length (and John
>is smart enough to not even generate longer passwords most of the time).
>If you want to enforce a minimum length, you need to adjust MinLen
>(specific to "incremental" mode), use an external filter() (along with
>any other cracking mode), or use an external program such as grep.

Ah ok.  If I understand this correctly, using john --incremental=All --stdout=2 will just randomly generate a combination of characters and then truncate said combination to the length specified.  There is no guarantee that you would end up with every possible combination of 95 characters.  The generated list could have the same word multiple times and leave some out.  Is this right?

Thanks,